P.O. Box 284 ~ 124 E. Broadway ~ North Baltimore, OH 45872
New to North Baltimore and Ohio is the State Route 18 Roundabout, just south of town, in front of Birch Run Golf Club.
The Roundabout was completed in the Fall of 2012. Truck traffic can now bypass North Baltimore and continue on to CSX and back to I-75 without traveling through town.
Today, North Baltimore has a modest population of approximately 3500. The railroad is currently owned by CSX and a new CSX intermodal railyard was built just west of town, on St. Rt. 18 opening in 2011.
One of the oldest brick homes in town still stands today at 311 N. Main St. The house was thought to be built in 1874 by John Schatzel. It was owned by many people through the years including chiropractor, Dr. Howard Wetzell and his wife Dorothy. Upon the death of Howard in 1982, Dorothy continued to own the home until her death in 1997. Today, the property continues to house a chiropractic office being occupied by North Baltimore Chamber member Dr. Kevin King, D.C.
The area that was to become North Baltimore was virtually a swamp area known as the Black Swamp. The town of New Baltimore was founded in 1860. The first scheduled train entered North Baltimore in November 1873. Since the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad did not have a station at the time, The B.L. Peters Store served as a ticket office. Now that the railroad was traveling through the town and able to carry mail, a post office was erected in August 1874.
NORTH BALTIMORE HISTORY
The addition of the B & O Railroad traveling through North Baltimore brought manufacturing plants to the area and reason for growth in the town. The village grew from a population of approximately 700 in 1880 to over 2800 by 1890. In the early years, North Baltimore was a stopping point for many daily passenger trains.
Most of the land soon to be known as North Baltimore was owned by our founding fathers, B.L. Peters, Levi Tarr, Jacob Dirk, and George Franks. On April 25, 1874, B.L. Peters registered the platting of his 29 acres of land. The next day, Levi Tarr registered the southern portion for his platting, The land to the northwest was owned by Jacob Dirk, and George Franks to the northeast. The town was originally recorded under the name of New Baltimore. The town was officially incorporated on February 7, 1876 and by 1880 the name was changed to North Baltimore, as it is known today.